Friday, March 21, 2008

Do we really have to grow up?

I have never been one to play video games and I haven't allowed them in my home. I want my children to be active and think of other things to do besides sit in front of the TV. Back in my day we only had 7 channels to chose from, so we were always being inventive and coming up with made up games to occupy our time. But, last night I was acting as if I was 12 and hanging out with my girlfriends. My sister bought a video game of American Idol. I love to sing, so why not at least try it one time. I did the same with guitar hero - once was enough for me on that one. But this time it was different. I started singing and couldn't stop! I wanted the most points - I wanted Simon to love me - I was in it to win! Side note, I have never been an American Idol fan and have only seen a couple of episodes. By the end of the night, the kids had been running around the house like mad people and were pretty much babysitting themselves. My sister (a mother of two) looked at my brother and me and shouted "we should have a sleepover!" I thought we totally should! She then suggested we have grandma and grandpa take all the kids for the night so that we can play American Idol until the sun comes up! For one evening we were 12 again, free of responsibility, laughed until we fell off the couch, and felt no stress or worries of the world!
I am seriously thinking of taking her up on that offer. I think I deserve it!

All the mom's out there - we deserve to act like kids too sometimes! So, my recommendation to all mom's who have felt the need to relax, instead of taking that day trip to the spa this time, try playing with a girlfriend, sister, or neighbor for just one night. Forget about all the things we have to do the next day. Just act like you are 12 (remember that movie 13 Going On 30)!

I was so relaxed last night I didn't even care that my child didn't go to be until 10:30 on a week night!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ooohhh...I want to play that game! I love Guitar Hero, but I can't find it anywhere. I've been trying to buy it for months.

Search The Hip Homemaker

Google