Thursday, July 10, 2008

Review: Hippychick Hipseat

I am obsessed with baby carriers. I have tried many different kinds: the basic fabric wrap, the Mei Tai carrier, the New Native sling, the Baby Bjorn, the Hip Hammock, and the Ergo. So far the Ergo is my favorite but my only complaint is that it's very bulky and doesn't fold down small when we're not using it. But it definitely is the most comfortable for me.

Well, I just bought myself a Hippychick Hipseat. I've been wanting one ever since I saw it on Babygadget but the price (about $70 plus $16 shipping) seemed a bit much for something so basic looking. But then a couple weeks ago I saw a used one on eBay and ended up buying it for $18 (plus $9 shipping).

My first impression is that it is pretty high quality. It is very basic but it does look well made. It kinda looks like one of those hip packs. I was surprised at how hard the seat is... the website says the seat is made of padded foam but mine, at least, doesn't seem to be very padded. You can remove the foam piece and throw the outside part in the washer.

Wearing it is very comfortable. So far I have only worn it around the house, but it is very easy to use and feels natural. Slipping the kid on and off is so quick without any straps to deal with. It's definitely easier carrying my 2-year old on it because he helps by holding onto me. I have to use more effort when carrying my 10-month old, but it's still a lot less effort than just using my hip. I will probably use it a lot more for my older one since he can never decide if he wants up or down. This should make my life easier when we're out and about.

Overall I really like this carrier. I don't know if I would pay full price for a brand new one, though. I definitely recommend it if you can find a cheaper used one on eBay or Craigslist.

No comments:

Search The Hip Homemaker

Google