Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Write it down.

Okay, so I have a confession to make. As a historian I totally tell people that they need to write their stories down. . .usually go as far as saying please write it in your own writing. I usually say that because as an archivist I want to see writing samples, it is fun and can tell a lot about a person through their samples by way of grammar and spelling and such. Besides writing styles are always fun to look at. . .

My confession is as follows, I don't write in a paper journal. Now, with that said, I do write in a journal online that is private, but there is an option to have it published in a book. I stumbled across the site while I was perusing facebook. It is the best thing that ever happened to me because I can't write very long without pain in my hands. So as I have gotten older (this makes me sound really old but I'm not I am 27 and have fibromyalgia) I have accepted the fact that sometimes these things have to be done in other ways, and my other way is typing. Whatever way you need, keep a record of your life, others will be thankful to know you through your writing.

My favorite site for writing is here. I also know other people who keep a blog and print out each entry they write. The options are endless!!! SO get pen and paper, or your computer or even a sketch book and start writing or creating!

One little after thought is that an "entry" doesn't have to be grandios or verbose, just write what you feel, and even if it is a sentence or two, it will be worth while. It will also become easier over time.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

My sister uses that site too. She swears by it. I just have a simple word document that I use to deal with my own emotions etc.- I don't ever WANT to have it published. I do think it's good to have both the good and the bad history.

Sometimes it's peoples mistakes and foibles that humanize them- which is why we need to record both good and bad things. I learned at my Great Aunt's funeral (she was 86) that she'd been caught having an affair with her husband's best friend when she was young. Now instead of just an 'old lady' my teenage self saw, I began to realize she's had a real life too- good stuff and bad stuff. I was instantly interested in learning more about her. LOL!

I found your blog via MMB- hope it's okay to leave a comment!

Daisy Paige said...

What is the site that will publish your online journals into a book?

Ching Ya said...

Hi,
Found this site amidst Korie's blogrolls. Enjoyed the writings and the wonderful tips given. You're all creative and mostly, enjoying what you're doing. To me that's the most important thing. To share, to embrace life with gratitude, and treasure every moments we have.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

@wchingya
Social Media/Blogging

Cupcake said...

ldsjournal.com

Search The Hip Homemaker

Google